Anita Ghazi Rahman obtained her LL.B. (Hons) degree from University College London (UCL) in 2002 and was called to the Bar of England and Wales from Lincoln’s Inn in July 2003, completing her Bar Vocational Course with Merit from The College of Law, London (now, University of Law). Anita qualified as an Advocate in Bangladesh in 2004, as Advocate of the High Court Division of Bangladesh Supreme Court in 2006 and as Advocate of the Apex Court, the Appellate Division of the Bangladesh Supreme Court in 2018.
Anita focuses her practice on all aspects of company law, general corporate law, regulatory laws and dispute resolution. She provides corporate and transactional advice with respect to business formation, employment, financing, energy, IP, services and procurement contracts, joint ventures, investments, mergers & acquisitions, and other business restructurings and also advises on the acquisition, development, and disposition of commercial, industrial and residential real estate. Anita heads the firm’s Litigation practice.
Anita has been listed amongst the “Inspiring individuals to follow in 2015 in Bangladesh” in Dhaka Tribune, Future Startup’s “15 Under 35 For 2015: Entrepreneurs, Trailblazers, Mold-Breakers Of Bangladesh” and has been featured in the books “From Stones to Castles: In conversation with 16 inspiring personalities of Bangladesh" and "Aine Tarunno". She is an Asia 21 Young Leader for the Class of 2016 and is one of the initial signatories to the Belt & Road Legal Service International Cooperation Platform.
Anita is the Founder of The Legal Circle and Founder of Think Legal Bangladesh (www.thinklegalbangladesh.com - the first of its kind, free open and crowd-sourced web-based legal resources platform), as well as the Founder and Publisher of Legal Circle Law Reports (LCLR). Anita also serves on the Boards of a number of non-profits and professional associations, and Mentors for national and international incubator and accelerator programmes.
RECENT REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS:
Business Formation, Company & Securities
Corporate and Finance
M&A, Investments and Corporate Restructuring :
- Advised Ceylon Biscuit, a Sri Lankan fortune 100 company, in establishing a greenfield project in Bangladesh. Deal value of approximately US$15 million.
- Represented the CIEL Group (a Mauritius business group) in its acquisition of two garments manufacturers.
- Advised in Bangladesh restructuring and implementation of German start-up dynamo Rocket Internet raising its first round of investment for e-commerce marketplace, Daraz, together with leading European law firm Noerr LLP.
- Represented SQ Group, a leading Bangladesh garments manufacturer, in detailed and lengthy negotiations with a foreign private equity investor for sale of an equity interest in the company.
- Advised leading US based industrial and consumer sewing thread manufacturing company on expansion and lease of industrial premises and utilities.
- Advised Japanese conglomerate in conjunction with BMR Legal on establishment of ceramics greenfield project in Bangladesh.
- Represented a purchaser in the acquisition of an entity that owns a IGW License/business (Telecommunications). Deal value of over $7 million.
Distributorship and Agency :
- Drafting of exclusive and non-exclusive distributorship and agency agreements and review of such agreements.
- Successfully advised on termination of distributorships of medical equipment and packaged food distribution contracts, representing foreign principals in both transactions.
- Setting in place supply-chain contracts for food distribution within Bangladesh.
- Advising on claim of compensation for loss incurred by principal.
Services and Procurement Contracts :
- Representation in detailed and lengthy negotiations for Call Centre Outsourcing Agreements with leading telecommunications providers.
Media and Telecommunications
NGO and Non-Profit
Power and Energy
- Due Diligence and Acquisition of 30+ acres of land for industrial park.- Vetting land documents and giving legal opinion on 93 decimals of land to build a readymade garment factory at Tongi, Dhaka. A/C: Meem Sweaters Ltd. - Vetting land documents and giving legal opinion on 8 acres of land to build a knit composite at Savar, Dhaka. A/C: Southwest Composite Ltd.
Taxes and Customs
1. Mentor & Director, Founder Institute, Bangladesh Chapter (fi.co), the world’s largest entrepreneur training program.
2. Panelist, ‘Social Justice: Safe spaces for youth’, BYLC Youth Leadership Summit, 2018.
3. Panel Discussant, ‘Compensation as a Constitutional Remedy for Violations of Fundamental Rights’, BLAST Law in Practice Seminar Series, 10 October 2018.
4. Speaker, ‘Unlocking the Secrets of Venture Capital’, 15 January 2018. Organized by LCAL and VCPEAB.
5. Mentor, Grameen Phone Accelerator (gpa.co), 3rd batch, ‘Startup Legal’, 23 March 2017.
6. Speaker, School of Entrepreneurship Lecture Series, ‘Intellectual Property’, 4 February 2017. Organized by Junction Ventures.
7. Panelist, ‘The State of Social Enterprise in Bangladesh’, 9 October 2016. Organized by the British Council.
8. Mentor, Grameen Phone Accelerator (gpa.co), 2nd batch, “Startup Legal and Intellectual Property”, 27 September 2016.
9. Speaker at “Legal Framework for Entrepreneurs”, 6 February 2016. Event organized by Bangladesh Startup Lab.
10. Panelist, “Tech Women Conference at Digital World 2015”, 9 February 2015.
11. Speaker at the “GIST Bangladesh Startup Boot Camp”, May 22-24, 2014.
12. Panelist, “E-Learning in Bangladesh”, 13 December 2014.
13. Mentor, “Legal Workshop for Startups”, at GrameenPhone presents Innovation Xtreme, 22 November 2014.
14. “Corporate Law and Public-Private Cooperation in Political Development”, Co-Speaker at the Joint IPSA Conference in Bangladesh, 2014.
15. “Access to Laws Online”, Featured Speaker at TEDxDhaka, 2012.
16. “Mitigating risk and fraud successfully”, Speaking Engagement for Prepaid Cards Asia Conference 2010, Singapore.
1. Publisher & Co-Editor of LCLR (Legal Circle Law Reports), a quarterly law report.
2. Editor of Think Legal Bangladesh – thinklegalbangladesh.com. Think Legal is one of the first free legal resource websites in Bangladesh.
3. “Protecting user trust, control: Data, privacy, and e-commerce“, published in the Anniversary Edition, The Financial Express on 11 December 2018. Co-authored with Ms. Pushpo Rahman.
4. “Framing a social enterprise law“, published in The Daily Star on 13 June 2017.
5. Lead Author of Bangladesh Section of “The Employment Law Review“, 8th Edition.
6. Co-Author of Bangladesh Section of “The International Comparative Guide to Project Finance 2016 & 2017”, published by the Global Legal Group.
7. Co-Author of Bangladesh Section of “Laws on Telecom and Media 2013”, Getting the Deal Through.
8. “Cross Border Merger and Acquisitions – the new frontier”, written in conjunction with Mr. Masud Khan. Published in The Financial Express on 26 May 2010.
9. “An easy conversion”, published in The Daily Star on 25 May 2010.